Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Two cents’ worth

I'm an emerging engineer, aerospace field to be exact.

I've had the good fortune of being educated at a few of the most outstanding institutions known to local knowledge. I'm here now in the States, and am on a life-altering journey. The road will be long and I will be tested, due and again, but I am ready.

But the question keeps popping in my head, is my country ready for me? I want to serve HER. But is she ready?

It's not exactly classified material that I am one among a huge number of Chinese educated students with comparable results, but will not be acknowledged by our own administration, for political reasons.

Science needs money, science needs materials. But above all, science needs cultivation, of scientists and of culture; of a secure future and of a sacred commitment; of a color-blind system and of a meritocracy environment.

We cannot import discarded technology and expect state of the art results. We cannot sign decade-long contracts and expect them to stay for a lifetime. We cannot expect to cast out our best talents and import "foreign talent" sustainably.

Is she ready?

She ISN'T, they bellow. Then again, she never is, according to them. She wasn't ready for the Twin Pillars, neither was she for her own national car in the whole of SEA. She isn't for a change, but then again, who decides whether she is? WE DO.

"Nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change." Barack Hussein Obama

No comments: